Sunday, August 02, 2009

Pineapple eco-label workshop


One of the big research tasks this summer was to organize a workshop to talk about a new form of eco-label we are investigating with a proposed first application to export pineapples, since most of the pineapples we consume in the US are from Costa Rica and they have recently been associated with environmental problems - we invited government representatives, pineapple producers, and independent scientific and certfication experts. It was a big success, despite the fact that I had to lecture to the group in Spanish. I really co-organized this with a good Costa Rica friend of ours from UF and PhD student, Silvia Alvarez.
Another Gainesville friend, Franklin, helped us out as well.
A final picture of the research team. From left to right (Carli, UF Law; Ana Quiros, Costa Rican environmental consultant and an advisor to this project; Milagros, UF, Silvia, UF, Diego, U of Costa Rica, and me)


Laura and I have both been working quite a bit this summer, but I just got back from a trip with her and her brother Jose, wife Laura, nephew Franco, and Marcela. Hope to post pictures of that trip at some point but Laura is back way away from Internet in Quizarra. Two weeks remain before we return to the States.

1 Comments:

At 2:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Que chevere ver tu progreso Wes, ademas es la primera vez que te veo con corbata!, L

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home